qrcode

Friday, September 30, 2011

Billings Marathon / Bismarck Marathon Double Weekend

Here I am two weeks later posting my race report. My journey began on Friday with a ten AM flight to Billings, Montana. I partially attended my eight AM flight before skipping out and heading to the airport. With a seemingly endless layover in Salt Lake City I landed in Billings. With a change from Pacific time to Mountain time to Central time and back I was constantly left confused about the current time. After landing in the tiny Billings airport I meandered down a staircase towards the baggage claim. In a matter of minutes I had my bags in my hands and I was ready to leave. As I looked at my watch it wasn't time to retrieve my rental car yet and I waited. To avoid embarrassment I checked my credit card balance. I was dismayed to learn that my balance had not cleared from the payment I made the day prior. I called the credit card company to verify this and to avoid disaster. The receptionist raised my credit limit to one thousand dollars. After this I walked over and retrieved my rental car. There were a few minor nuisances but I will discuss them as they come into play.
Immediately upon exiting the airport I drove through the downtown and onto the freeway. After a six and half hour drive I arrived into Bismarck, North Dakota. I arrived into Bismarck at a little past midnight and drove through the sleepy streets to the Budget Inn Express Bismarck. The motel was run down and dingy, the parking lot was gravel, but I wasn't one to complain. I needed sleep and it didn't matter where. I went through my routine and went to bed. I set my alarm for 4 AM. I hadn't done my homework to find the starting area but it wasn't difficult to find.
I arrived on a chilly Saturday morning at the starting area for the Bismarck Marathon. Parking was ample I parked only feet from the starting area. On arrival it was five thirty and the volunteers were barely arriving. Soon six o'clock arrived and I ventured to the tent set up on the grass near the starting line. A kindly volunteer motioned me over and asked for my name. I picked up my race number and headed back to my rental car. I tried to shut my eyes and garner a few more sheep. Before I even realized it the announcer began calling from the PA system. I listened as he began to rattle off amusing observations. I pinned my race number to my shirt and I hurried off to begin my prerace rituals. Seven fifteen arrived and I headed towards the crowds of people beginning to line up for the start. I wasn't anxious or in any hurry to begin the race, so I stayed to the side of the crowds line up on the path. A countdown began and the crowds were off.

I kept my pace slow, often walking at times to keep from over exerting myself. As I often do I began to mingle with those around me. I often have noticed how time seems to fly by when you occupy your mind. I met a few locals and complained about the weather. The landscape was a suburban one with many homes and offices scattered about. There were obvious signs of flooding near all water prone areas. The marathon was a thirteen mile loop done twice.

Around miles four and eight there were musicians entertaining those on the course. Businesses blasted music from their building meant for the athletes. The first 7 miles flew by as I sauntered through the first part of the course. Between mile 7 and 8 I saw a couple familiar faces. It was Larry Macon and Jim Simpson. I hadn't seen either one of them in months, and it was nice to have a sense of familiarity so far from home. We chatted and exchanged stories about past feats and future goals. Soon I said goodbye to them and continued on. I finished my first loop and continued on to the next one. I was impressed by the level of volunteerism in the community.

At every turn it seemed that there were volunteers directing even the last runners through confusing turns. My body was tired but I continued on. Eventually finishing in roughly 4:46 minutes. I was greatly impressed by my time.
I read the week prior to leaving for this adventure that there would be arrangements with the YMCA for showers to be available for the out of town runners. I showered, and ate. I have made it a personal quest to explore a state when visiting. Since I was in the state capitol I seized the opportunity to visit the state capitol buildings. I had read the history surrounding the skyscraper of a capitol building. I explored the capitol building a while. Then I spent a while in the state oriented museum full of amazing artifacts not only relating to state history but world history. The museum featured bones from many prehistoric dinosaurs, and turn of the century and native american artifacts. Around three thirty I left Bismarck and headed back towards Montana. The sun was setting as I made my way back to Billings and I admired the landscape. I have always known that I would enjoy that area of the country but I had never been able to truly imagine the beauty. I arrived in Billings around nine thirty and made reservations at the Motel 6. This scenario was very confusing because there are two Motel 6's across the street from each other. After a bit of confusion I checked in and immediately headed to bed. I awoke the next morning at 5:30 AM. I needed to hurry because I was across town from the race and I had a bus to catch.

The Billings Governors Cup Marathon has an interesting dynamic in that it travels in one direction. With a couple wrong turns I made it to the Billings Senior High School where a bus was waiting to take runners to the other end of the course. The bus traveled to the outskirts of the Billings suburbs to a city called Molt. The adventure so far had not taken me to a place like this, a very rugged rural place surrounded by mountainous terrain. The starting line of the marathon was at the Molt community center, a place so rural it didn't even have a sewage system. The race began at 7 AM under cold and windy conditions. The first few miles were filled with sore muscles and thoughts about cutoff times. The first five miles were an out and back before the course decides to travel straight out and back to Billings.

This race became a noticeable progression from the rocky mountainous terrain of Molt to the suburban paradise of Billings. The water stations of the Billings Marathon were fewer but just as active as those in the day prior. As the marathon wore on I began to catch up to other runners. I may win this thing I mentioned jokingly to myself. The Billings Marathon was about persistence. From mile thirteen to the finish I used a method that


I often employ. I walk 100 steps and then run 100 steps or more depending on the need. Reaching the last mile I felt the desire to finish up this race and this adventure in the right fashion. I reached the last half mile and a crux. I approached an intersection with a sign that states that the road is closed. There wasn't a volunteer and I didn't hear a loudspeaker. Should I take go straight or take the right route? I decided to head straight. That was the wrong decision. I headed about a half mile down the road to another intersection where there was yet again no volunteer or arrows. As I peer back I notice a few different runners heading the other direction. I headed back completely dismayed. I turned left reaching the intersection and onto the high school track. I had been one turn from the finish... I finished. My time was 5:28:07.

Although I was disappointed about the snafu near the finish, I was glad to finish. Upon finishing I asked about the possibility of showering and the consensus was to go to the YMCA. Yet again I showered at the YMCA. Upon departing the building I asked the attendant what the best local place around Billings was. She consulted with another attendant and he didn't seem to know. Evidently Billings Montana doesn't operate on Sundays. I ended up going to Burger King. I spent another hour or so walking around the downtown area. Before I knew it, it was time to return my rental car and head back to the airport. Another two races down. 16 more states left in my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment