qrcode

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oklahoma - Route 66 Marathon (Post 4.)

Upon finishing the White River Marathon I took group photos with Larry Macon, Jim Simpson, and Al Emma. After that was over we boarded a van and headed back to the Cotter school a mile away. There was soup and warm rolls served at the school and showers facilities were provided as well. After showering I waddled back to my rental car and began the drive back to Tulsa. The drive was nearly as arduous as the last time and involved a detour of sorts when I headed 25 miles north past the Missouri state line. I eventually arrived in Tulsa around midnight and headed to the Studio 6 where I was spending the night. I watched some television and researched the race, eventually retiring for the night. I awoke the next morning, dressed and drove to the finish area outlined on the race website. The website mentioned that there would be shuttles that would take you to the starting area. Arriving at the starting line around 7:15 A.M I was amazing to see how many people had already arrived. As I rounded the corner there was a VIP staging tent near the starting line. I was surprised by the great concession the race had provided in their treatment of the Marathon Maniacs. While waiting for the race to begin most of the Marathon Maniacs gathered to take photos and greet one another. The special tent had a number of port-a-potties set aside for the sole use of the club. After a short while speaking with those who I remembered from the day before, I headed to the starting corral. Because of my time mentioned during registration, the race had placed me into the corral C. The weather on race day was a chilly windy 40 degrees, the weather would never warm up. As I stood and shivered the clock drew ever nearer to the start time. It felt like ages before the gun went off, but it eventually did and we were off. The crowd crept forward and after a while began to jog. The first mile flew by and so did the second and third and fourth. As I moved through the pack I kept in mind that I would eventually run out of energy and submit to walking. This didn't change the fact that I felt good, and I wanted to go fast. Moving through the crowd I waved hello to the Marathon Maniacs that I saw. This race drew all types of runners and this was no exception for the Marathon Maniacs. As the race course proceeded on, the runners witnessed both sides of the city; the urban and the suburban. At mile 13 I stopped to chat with an older Maniac and share stories. I could tell that he was having a hard time, and I wanted to provide encouragement. The Maniac told me that he had participated in a marathon the previous day as well, and was very sore. While I would have loved to stay and chat, the 5 hour pace group passed by, and I wanted to maintain that pace as long as possible. Soon the 5 hour group had passed and I tried the best I could to maintain a pace that was faster than the previous day. Eventually I found myself at the Center of the Universe Detour. I still am not completely sure what it is all about. On I went back onto the course and I met up with another Marathon Maniac. I talked with him for a while and again said goodbye as I continued on. I could feel myself slowing down, but it is bound to happen with the pounding I placed on my body the day before. I slogged another mile or two before I met up with another Marathon Maniac. He was a local named Thomas Gibson. We talked and shared stories, and while the miles added up they were sure made easier by the conversation. I eventually reached the last mile, and produced a kick that surprised even me. Upon reaching the finish line I was greeted by a space blanket and a medal. I proceeded on through to the finish line tent where there was an assortment of beverages, pizza and bagels. From there I went to the VIP area set aside for Marathon Maniacs and 50 States members. In this tent there was a vast selection of food and deserts. I sat at a table and rested from the race took in food and chatted with others. Upon reaching my car I realized I didn't have much time and prepared to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment